As I washed up for the weekend and ensured I had my most whitest of my tighties cleaned for whatever might await me on the eve of my biggest day of the year – my birthday – I got to reflecting.
I reflected because I was reminded how lucky I am and how great things are for me. It was a clear moment for me and I thought, “I was money and I didn’t even know it.” (Swingers) And though I haven’t been feeling so lucky as of late I pontificated about the years gone by and the pretty fabulous life I have lived and what has been bestowed upon me. My conclusion:
I am Blessed.
My memories swirled through my head like an old 8mm film with the voice of Morgan Freeman narrating (as he always does in my head). My emotions rose like geysers gushing from the Earth as I sorted through the laundry list of situations and loved ones that made me smile and cry. I peeked in on my sleeping kids and stood in the doorway for a moment – thinking of their futures and the guidance I have given them. And it really finally dawned on me that I am doing okay in life’s fast-paced game.
It isn’t that I don’t have challenges about bills, love, betrayal, or the likes (wait, that sounds like an episode of Empire); but it is the fact that I am still in my right mind to shift. Shift my being to something different. It isn’t a big shift, just a nudge, yet it gives way to those memories that reinforce the good that I have encountered.
So on this eve of me arriving on this planet I reflect on the following:
- I have a great, supportive family full of love, joy, empathy, and faith.
- I can smell the fresh summer rain outside my window and take it in like vitamins.
- I live in a country where I can express my thoughts, feelings, and desires and not be crucified. ‘merica, dammit.
- I have a nice roof over my head and the heads of my offspring. This blessing should never go unnoticed.
- I ate a good healthy meal. And even if it wasn’t the healthiest it was still a meal worth eating.
- I can anticipate the upcoming NFL season – with or without Colin Kaepernick (but I wish him well).
I can give love to my friends and I can receive it in return.
- I have gained knowledge through education and observation.
- I am able to work an honest shift and be proud of what I have accomplished.
- I am can enjoy a great beer or glass of wine or even something harder from time-to-time.
- And I can write…however I want to, whenever I want to, and to whomever I want to. We can all create something new, every day we are alive.
These few things give me pause as the clock strikes midnight and I go into celebratory mode. I will enjoy those things around me and I will look for the good in life – because I have the power to do so. And for this I am grateful.
Go well and with love good peeps.
And Happy Birthday to me. 🙂
One thought on “Reflections on Half-a-Century (+)”
I love it and love you my friend!! I wish you nothing but continued love, peace, prosperity, good health, and happiness!! You deserve that and more❤️❤️
LikeLiked by 1 person